Things to do in Wanaka
Winter in Wanaka
Mt. Aspiring National Park is the third largest park in New Zealand. Wanaka is the perfect base for short walks, day walks or even longer adventures.
3 World Class Ski Areas awaits you, and all within 35 minutes drive from Wanaka.
Whether it is flying over the mountains in a tiger moth, or climbing them, jet boating a wild river or cruising on the lake, mountain biking or walking on one of the lakeside tracks, take your time to explore this striking land.
Wanaka has a number of unique attractions which are worth taking the time to discover. Puzzling World, the Transport and Toy Museum, the Warbirds & Wheels Museum, Have a Shot, and BaseCamp - entertainment for the whole family.
Food & Wine
An eclectic range of cafes, bars and restaurants makes a full use of the region's natural resources. Award-winning local wines and beers are served alongside the freshest produce. Every taste is catered for with views to die for.
Arts & Heritage
Lake Wanaka has a vibrant arts community of painters, sculptors, photographers, carvers, writers and more. Take an arts trail and visit them in their studios or see their work in the town's galleries.
Blue and white are the colours of winter in Lake Wanaka. As the frosts arrive and the leaves fall, the mountains don their winter coats in preparation for the snow sports enthusiasts who arrive each year in June...winter in Lake Wanaka.
Places to visit
- Cardrona Alpine Resort is a relaxed and friendly ski and snowboard resort, the place to be for the whole family.
- Treble Cone is New Zealand South Island’s largest ski area for advanced skiers and snow boarders with spectacular scenery. Treble Cone also offers a great beginner area.
- Snowfarm provides first-class cross-country skiing. Over 50km of groomed trails for classic and skate skiing! Sled-dog experience is also based at Snowfarm.
- Harris Mountains Heli-Skiing and Southern Lakes HeliSki, your ultimate Ski experience on top of the world.
- One-Pass NZ will offer you the freedom to move between the ski areas and heaps more.